Help establish the love of
learning from an early age.
Merriam-Webster's Elementary Dictionary
An essential dictionary for children grades 3–5, ages 8–11.
- More than 36,000 entries with new words & senses and definitions enriched with nearly 1,300 quotes from children’s literature
- 250 word history paragraphs, 120 synonym paragraphs, and over 900 illustrations, photographs, and diagrams
- Pronunciation paragraphs for every letter, Greek & Latin word root paragraphs, and kid-friendly usage hints in full sentences
- Special sections include geographical names, signs and symbols, an introduction to Greek & Latin roots in English, a guide for writers, and a list of literary works used in the text
I am a teacher of elementary age children. I have found the Merriam-Webster Dictionaries (Elementary and Intermediate) are the best dictionaries to use for their studies.
Merriam-Webster's Dictionary for Children
An all-new essential dictionary for children grades 3–5, ages 8–11, at an affordable price.
- More than 36,000 entries with abundant usage sentences and phrases
- Hundreds of illustrations, photographs, and diagrams that supplement definitions
- Nearly 350 word history and synonym paragraphs clarify meaning
- Pronunciation paragraphs at the beginning of each letter explain the sounds that letters can have
- Special sections include U.S. Presidents, Signs and Symbols, and a guide to punctuation, capitals, and italics